So you pay less for private health insurance
the essentials in brief
- The contribution to private health insurance (PHI) has increased on average over the past ten years by 3 percent per year.
- If private health insurance has become too expensive for you, there are seven ways to reduce the contribution.
There are these seven possibilities
- If your health has improved greatly, you can have risk premiums removed from the contract.
- Check if switching to a cheaper rate is worthwhile for your insurer.
- Increase your deductible – in moderation.
- If possible, switch to the statutory health insurance.
- Switch to the standard rate of PKV, if it is open to you.
- Alternatively, change to the basic rate.
- If standard tariff and basic tariff are too expensive, then the emergency tariff temporarily remains.
In this guide
- Option 1: Check risk surcharges
- Option 2: Check internal tariff change
- Option 3: increase deductible
- Option 4: Change to the statutory health insurance
- Option 5: Change to the standard rate
- Option 6: Change to the basic rate
- Option 7: Change to the emergency tariff
Unfortunate post with an increase in contributions receive many private health insurance each year. The contribution increased between 2008 and 2018 on average by 3 percent per year according to the Association of Private Health Insurance. What spoils only the mood at first, can overtax the household budget over time. Some people pay more for their private health insurance (PHI) than for their rented apartment.
You simply do not have to accept the price increases, which are euphemistically called premium adjustment in the industry. We show seven ways in which you can reduce your contribution.
Option 1: Check risk surcharges
Many privately insured persons agree with the conclusion of a contract to pay due to previous illnesses an increased contribution. Once agreed risk premium does not have to remain forever. If your health has improved so much that the reason for the surcharge has been dropped, you can reduce the surcharge or even cancel the contract altogether (§ 41 Insurance Contract Act). This is an effective way to reduce the contribution, because risk premiums can make up 10 to 20 percent of the total contribution, in some cases even more. Whether you pay a risk premium can be found in your insurance certificate.
For example, anyone who had hay fever at the conclusion of the insurance and therefore pays a premium can be completely cured after a hyposensitization. Then you should ask your insurance company to cancel the contract.
For the insurance company to check the supplement, it is necessary that you are already free of complaints for a longer period of time and that you no longer need medication. To prove your health, you need a recent doctor’s report. If your insurance company refuses to recognize you, seek professional assistance from an insurance advisor, consumer advice center, or the insurance broker from whom you signed your contract.
As well as risk premiums way, you can have it checked originally agreed exclusions. But do not replace a risk premium with a benefit exclusion to save money – this can be expensive later.
Option 2: Check internal tariff change
Every insured person has the right to change his health insurer to another rate with similar insurance cover. After such an internal tariff change you pay for similar or only slightly worse benefits sometimes significantly less contribution. But do not renounce important services, because a permanently lower contribution nobody can guarantee you. Even after a tariff change, it is possible that the contribution increases again.
Your insurance company is obliged by law to advise you on changing tariffs for free and to respond to your wishes and needs. Inquiries about tariff change want to work within 15 days. The Association of Private Health Insurance defined this in a binding guideline in 2016, which has so far been signed by 24 companies.
Let the insurance show you how the benefits in the new tariff differ from your current insurance cover and compare exactly. If you need help changing your tariffs, you can get help from an insurance broker, consultant or consumer center.
Important: Do not switch to another health insurance company. You lose a large part of your accumulated retirement provisions. This can only be rewarded if you are still young and healthy and receive much better benefits from the change.